Thursday, January 30, 2014

Book review: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

A big note to all readers. If you haven't read the book, don't continue with this review. It contains spoilers. Like, lots of them. Consider yourself warned!

Finally, finally I'm done reading Clockwork Princess!

I'm speechless though. Completely and utterly so, since that Epilogue gave me nothing but chills, shivers, endorphins, tears and the likes. Emotions were everywhere, bouncing around me, echoing up and down the walls and ceiling.

And all I can say is that the greatness of this last book of The Infernal Devices was incredible!

It took me nearly a month to finish reading it because I read it on the side. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed by the first three quarters of it. I don't know why. I mean, the writing was as great as ever, the storyline was flowing well, the characters were consistent. There was action, drama, pain, sadness. And yet, for some reason it felt to me that something was lacking. It couldn't keep my attention, you know?

So I thought about lowering the rating with a star. I thought about it, and was going to do it too, but then that one last quarter of the book, plus the Epilogue had me reconsidering. You may think that changing a rating based on just one quarter of a book is silly. But I'll tell you this - obviously you haven't read the quarter I'm talking about. If you had, you'd know exactly why I had to go for those five stars.

Now let me explain. I'm a Will fan. I do love Jem too, but Will was closer to me. So when things got desperate with James's health and Will had to suffer through horrible pain on all fronts, I couldn't bear it. I cried when James 'died'. The parabatai bond was like my own and I just... gosh, it was too much, you know? Then everything got twisted, turned around and shaken out of proportion - I mean, forbidden love, and angels and reunions - and I was left speechless. Then that incredible Epilogue comes and I was all tears and snot and you get the picture.

Let's pause this for a second. Do you know how hard it is to hold your tears and that bawling you want to do just because your hubby is in the room and he hates it when you cry over a book? I am telling you now, it was incredibly difficult for me to hold it in. I barely did. I mean, I did cry, silently, but what kind of silent crying can express this huge knot of pain that had gathered in my heart, huh?

I mean, I wanted to scream my lungs out. I actually felt physical pain in my own heart as I read that damned Epilogue. Gosh, seeing through Tessa's memories - all the love she shared with Will, all the pain and sorrow she went through when he reached old age and died.... And then all the hope and love that came with Jem returning from the Brotherhood.... I don't think anyone could be immune to the intensity of it all. I was not.

Clare played it quite smart with that Epilogue, I think. I mean, Tessa got all she wanted. True, along with the love and happiness she also got the sadness and pain and sorrow, but still. Who can have both guys she loves in one lifetime? Extremely rare, I think.

And still, I felt incredibly sad for Tessa, for Magnus, for any warlock doomed to live eternally, alone. That is a sad, sad fate and I don't wish it to anyone.

My heart broke at least five times as I read the book, but the ending was the climax of all heartbreaks. It was raw, it was emotional, it was soul deep.

In my mind, I don't think of the characters as such - parts of fiction. No. To me they are real people, who I might get the chance to meet one day. I may not recognize them, passing by, but somehow, deep inside I'd know I've met them. Sounds crazy, I know, but such is the power of Cassandra Clare's writing. And I'd like to keep that hope alive.

My rating is

1 comment:

  1. This was a fantastic review! And next time you want to cry over a book, tell your husband to leave the room!! LoL I bawled over this book as well and don't see how a human couldn't cry because it was sooo beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely LOVE comments!!! So, if you stop by my blog, please leave me something nice :)

NOTE: I'm sorry for putting the CAPTCHA back up. I know it can be annoying, but I've gotten so many spam comments in the past week, it's not even funny.