Thursday, September 12, 2013

Book Review: Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend by Louise Rozett


Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend

I received the eARC through Netgalley.

I really like this series. It's cute, it's brave. But for some reason I felt like something was missing. Perhaps the end came kind of soon or something.

Anyway, I'd like to point out that there's considerable growth in Rose since book one and I was seriously impressed. She'd become a girl who could count on herself to know what's right and what's not. And she knows how to figure out exactly what she wants.

The writing itself is also improved. the author has made serious progress in style and ways of expression. I really enjoyed the story, the pacing, the characters. Everything, basically.

So, Rose Zarelli. The girl with the confessions returns for another round of high-school slash family slash romantic drama. At school the bullies are back, now even more fierce and intent on causing serious damage. At home things aren't any better. Rose's brother comes home carrying secrets of his own and her mom is pushing her to see a family shrink.

And if none of that's enough, Jamie Forta is back in her life acting hot and cold again. Apparently, the life of a teenage girl could be extremely confusing, especially when extraordinary circumstances come into play. Like a passionate, desperate kiss. Or a jealous ex-girlfriend. Or said ex-girlfriend's gay brother. Or someone's abusive father.

Well, all of that is more than enough to make any girl shatter/break/close off. But not Rose Zarelli. Because even though she's once again been blamed for making the right choice, this time she knows that she's actually done the right thing. And so, now she could move on with her own life. Figure out her own dreams. Get to know her own self.

I'm extremely proud of Rose. She didn't sound or act like a silly little girl anymore. She fully (or almost) realized that her happiness doesn't lie in someone else, but in her own hands.

Jamie Forta could only feel sorry he didn't see how special Rose truly was. I would be happy to give Jamie some choice words of my own, but you know what? This time he's not really worth it. Perhaps book three would redeem him somehow, present him in a different light or whatever, and I'd get to like him once again. For now though, he deserves nothing.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely LOVE comments!!! So, if you stop by my blog, please leave me something nice :)

NOTE: I'm sorry for putting the CAPTCHA back up. I know it can be annoying, but I've gotten so many spam comments in the past week, it's not even funny.