Sunday, July 29, 2012

New cover tendencies

Have you noticed that lately the girls with the pretty dresses are being taken out of the book covers, only to be replaced by a singular eye? No? Well, I have, and I've been wondering about it. I don't know what invoked the change in tendencies - perhaps over-saturation on the market. So I was wondering whether you think this change is for the better.

I honestly don't know, though there are pros and cons, I guess. For one, it's different, more mysterious way to picture a story by only the shape/color/lashes of an eye. 

So, take a look at all the covers-with-eye that I've found. I bet there are more, but those are the once I dug up:








So, what's up with the eye?

3 comments:

  1. When you put them all next to each other that is quite a creepy effect. I have noticed an increase in this style as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they (that is the publishers) have changed it for the marketing part. I loved the "girls in pretty dresses" covers, but these "eye" covers makes me turn my head an extra time. And I think that's what they want. Although I really had to get used to them, but I'm starting to like them! I don't know if it's for the better, but it's at least different. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. But I must say the eyes creep me out a bit. I'm not leaping up and rushing out to buy these books. I must admit that I did rather fancy the dresses, but I guess we did reach saturation.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely LOVE comments!!! So, if you stop by my blog, please leave me something nice :)

NOTE: I'm sorry for putting the CAPTCHA back up. I know it can be annoying, but I've gotten so many spam comments in the past week, it's not even funny.