Tuesday, June 26, 2012

In her shoes ~ 16 ~

Every Tuesday I will pick a character I've read about recently, perhaps even the week before, and try putting myself in her shoes. What things would I do differently? What have I learned from her behavior? That kind of thing. You are welcome to participate if you want, just please link back, so we could build a nice community of followers. Thanks!!! :)


Today I'd like to introduce you to a very brave, open-hearted female, who won my affections with her great character. Her name is Cora, and she's the lead female in Lisa Tawn Bergren's new series, Glamorous Illusions. If you're interested in my review, you can find it here.

So, Cora is a young woman living in the early 20th century, who has the great ambition to become a teacher. But when she finds out the truth about her parentage, and is whisked away on the Grand Tour in Europe, she can barely identify herself. All the grandeur she witnesses in Europe almost sweeps her off her feet, until she gets back to earth, reminding herself that who she is in blood, doesn't change who she is at heart.

That moment of revelation was so incredibly important - it changed her view of everything and everyone around her. Even her arrogant half-sister seemed unable to hate Cora any longer.

What I admired most about Cora was her bravery to speak up her mind. Even in discussions between men of business, she wasn't afraid to give her opinion, and to her dismay, that only won her respect from those educated enough to see the truth behind her theories. I believe that women in her age weren't supposed to really use their brains. So when Cora did just that, she put every male at wonder. I was so incredibly proud of her then!

I can't wait to read the follow up novels and see how her character develops over the Grand Tour :)

So, whose shoes would you like to step into today?

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't do my In Her Shoes post this week :( but I will next week ;)

    I am dying to read this book actually.

    And I have always loved the concept of a Grand Tour! Glad to hear Cora is a smart character and outspoken, because that is rare for that time period, yes! Awesome post this week, Vanya!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! And I'm glad I'm not the only reader out there who's into historical romance :))

    Thanks for stopping by, Jen!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely LOVE comments!!! So, if you stop by my blog, please leave me something nice :)

NOTE: I'm sorry for putting the CAPTCHA back up. I know it can be annoying, but I've gotten so many spam comments in the past week, it's not even funny.