Tuesday, March 13, 2012

In her shoes ~2~

Each Tuesday I will pick a character I've read about recently, perhaps even the week before, and try putting myself in her shoes. What things would I do differently? What have I learned from her behavior? That kind of thing. You are welcome to participate if you want.

Today I've picked Jac L'Etoile from "The Book of Lost Fragrances." In the beginning I had the feeling that Jac was a strong female character. She had her career in myth solving, her past that she was trying to forget/overcome/leave behind... But she lacked a proper family, a proper romantic relationship and everything that was supposed to come with it. Usually, women grow strong when they've accomplished everything on their own and I thought and hoped that Jac would be just such a woman. But the moment she met her past love, Griffin North, she gave in to him. On the very same day she forsook her oaths never to think of him or touch him or whatever. I felt so repulsed!! And he was married with a child! She knew that, and still, she disregarded it all! I was so ashamed, so grossed out, I felt like throwing the book out the window! Of course, since it's an e-book and on my kindle, I couldn't do that. I'm not trashing the kindle for some stupid character who couldn't keep herself together.
And that's without saying how I felt about Griffin! I absolutely loathed that guy.  With utter sincerity! I wished I were in Jac's shoes just so I could punch him in the smug cheating plagiarizing face!! The bastard!! Even when he turned out to be Jac's soul mate of ages past, I just wanted him to go to his wife and leave Jac alone.

That's my story for the day. Whose shoes would you like to step in??

2 comments:

  1. omg, what kinda book was that?! Screw the soul mate part, I would've probably thought/felt the same way you did while reading this. wtf... how can you let your characters screw up like that???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a book that sounded really promising. It was supposed to have anthropological side to it, but it was so infinitesimal, I don't count it at all.
      And yeah, I know that the characters must make mistakes, but that's really not how it's done.

      Delete

I absolutely LOVE comments!!! So, if you stop by my blog, please leave me something nice :)

NOTE: I'm sorry for putting the CAPTCHA back up. I know it can be annoying, but I've gotten so many spam comments in the past week, it's not even funny.